Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

UPDATE Friday Freebie: Work Station Check Sheet

Hey y'all! Happy Tuesday!

I've written about  Work Boards for managing Literacy Work Stations. Today I am proposing another method for Work Station management where students have more of the control over their own grouping/rotations.

Some teachers manage Work Stations/Centers in their classrooms by allowing students more choice. Rather than grouping them and telling them where and when to rotate, they set up a system of Work Stations, provide all of the materials, and students decide which Station to go to on which day, how long to stay, and who they might work with at that Station. As you can see, it is much less teacher control than other methods, but students in upper grades need to learn how to manage their own learning and this is a great way!

Students simply record when they went to a given station in the week and perhaps write a reflection about their work there. And voila! Want yours for FREE? Head to my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Or THIS one created by

Now, does this pose other manage issues that grouping students yourself and rotating them doesn't?
Of course! Will you possibly curse me if you try it- yes! I will say this is not for the faint of heart, but it can all be taught.  And the lessons on self regulation our students learn in the process is pretty awesome!

Possible Mini-Lessons you will need if using this method:

1.) How many people can be at a Work Station at a time?
2) How long should I stay at Work Station? Do I need to go to all the Work Stations each week?
3) Who do I work well with? Who do I not work well with?
4) What do I do if there is no room at the Work Station where I want to go?

And there are more I'm sure, these are just some of the ones I remember talking with my students about. I also had years where I did both. I started the school year putting kids in groups and rotating them, and in January I transitioned to this method.

So what do you think? How are you going to manage your students in Work Stations this year. It can be done. Remember, less is more and SLOW DOWN, train the troops, it's not a race!

Photobucket