Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Show and Tell at SWS @ Logan

I had the opportunity to go to a Reggio inspired school in DCPS last week.  I love early childhood! I love Reggio and its emphasis on the spirit and worth of being a child.  Childhood matters. Kids matter and at at a Reggio school it is evident with every step.

I started at a Morning Meeting and Sharing Time in a PK classroom.  I got to receive a handshake, a high five, or a hug.  I wanted a high five and my partner wanted a handshake.  I loved this idea for natural materials to mark how many questions/comments can be made after someones share time.
Sharing time this day at Morning Meeting was about their cicada adventures/learning/experience. I learned more than I ever thought I'd know about cicadas in a brief five minutes I must say.



 Look at these BLOCK structures! And the fact that they STAY up- they don't get cleaned up every day. This just screams childhood rather than "school".



When they are ready to clean up... here is the sign that says so. Otherwise- it lives another day.

This made me laugh out loud! What a unique use of corks! It's a bridge of course! I guess I'll need to drink a little more Chardonnay for the kiddos at SWS!


More block inspiration.... where would one get a poster like this? I need one. For my basement and that classroom I'm going to have again... some day! 

And in a first grade classroom they were knee deep in Writing Workshop (the Katie Wood Ray kind) and publishing books- lots and lots of books! I loved this clever display for the author's work. 



I'll keep going to schools... and I'll keep taking my camera.
I love my job!

Photobucket